Updates:


Updates: (as of 09/12/11 2.51pm)
Posted my 47th blog entry.
Hide files inside pictures and music here.
Review on Chuck Season 4 here.
Answer my Physics assignment here.
Google search tips for Mediafire here. Another search tip for definitions here.
Scams: Text.
SmartBro, Globe Tattoo, Sun Broadband (Prepaid) Tricks: 1, 2.
FB: tricks: 1, 2, 3; fix 1, 2, 3.
Site: Freebie: TipRadar. GOTD.
Freebies: Kaspersky CBE 11.

Feel free to comment. No spam please.

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Facebook Fix: Revert to the Old Facebook Chat! [via Scripts]

Facebook has been, what you call it, updating recently. Just weeks (more likely months) ago, Facebook has installed its video calling. That is, Facebook teamed up with Skype to provide a new way to chat. Along with this new chat is the change of the Facebook chat box.

When I saw what happened, I was very furious. Also weeks ago before Facebook implemented this new Facebook chat, RockMelt, who designed a society-friendly browser which incorporates Facebook into it, made a change to their chat, that is, the chat box has been removed so we users could use their own chatbox. The problems are:
  1. Even if you try to "go offline" from RockMelt's chat bar you'll still remain online to others.
  2. There is no way to chat with the group thanks to them suppressing the chatbox.
  3. They don't have friend lists, which is annoying.
  4. They also removed the Notifications, which is desync with theirs.
This made me use Google Chrome instead of Rockmelt. I still love Rockmelt's other features though, like those News, Twitter and RSS Feeds. Their Watch Later feature is also amazing.

Note: If you ever find a way to remove the suppression of Rockmelt's extension script please let me know. Thank you.

Going back to Facebook, I was somehow disappointed and all, so I tried finding a  way to revert. This desperation made me forget clickjacking, but I was able to stop it from performing more functions and damage to my Facebook. The next was the real deal. A friend of mine posted in his wall that he found a way to revert using scripts. Making sure that I don't clickjack, I opened the link from another browser which lead me to a user script. Knowing that this is safer because of the comments and ratings. I took the risk. It ended well and I was able to use the old chat box.

Setting aside for a while, the new Facebook chat eats up the rightmost column, shoving the other things to the left. This gave a feeling of awkwardness because all friend's thumbnails are displayed and this eats up the space and my browsing speed. What I really hate about it is that it only displays a few friends who has interacted with you. The rest, gone. Joke, but really, you can't see them online or offline until you search their name.

The script I used looked outdated though, because it only let me scroll the names of those who are online. It did not separate into lists and whatsoever. And so just now I looked for this userscript and voila! They did update. (Mine was 1.5.3, theirs is 2.1.3)

When I installed it to my Chrome browser it almost did look like the old Facebook Chat. And I was happy, because this is what I wanted. I do hope Facebook changes to something good, else I'll be sticking to this Facebook chat.

Update October 7, 2011:
Facebook Sidebar Chat Reversion seems to be having problems right now(for me). I had to disable the script since it was not updated (Facebook is greatly updating). As of now you may use FB Chat Sidebar Disabler as an alternative. Works fine. (Google Chrome Only)

I present, Facebook Sidebar Chat Reversion by Enzyme. (Many credits to him, his script so far is the best I've ever seen.) According to his summary, it gets rid of the new Facebook sidebar and replaces it with one like the original. To this date the version is 2.1.3. For the list of features and everything please click that link.

According to Enzyme, it works mainly on Firefox, Google Chrome and Opera. For those who are using different browsers please switch now or suffer from the new Facebook chat. Best versions of the browser would be the latest.

To install for Google Chrome and other Chromium users, Opera and other Opera-like browsers, simply click install at the top of that page. Or if not click this. (Best to use the above site because it may be of better version.) Allow it to access your .facebook.com pages and simply reload your Facebook web page. It should take effect immediately.

For Firefox users, install Greasemonkey (Add-on for Firefox) first before clicking install. Greasemonkey should detect the .js file and allow it to install and use .facebook.com as a site. I haven't installed it really for Firefox, but you get the point.

Uninstall instructions found at the Facebook Sidebar Chat Reversion site. Enjoy!

Previously: This feeling of uneasiness, it's still with me, and it will haunt me. Read here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts? Comments, Suggestions, or Just Wanna Say Hi? Post Here.