Updates:


Updates: (as of 09/12/11 2.51pm)
Posted my 47th blog entry.
Hide files inside pictures and music here.
Review on Chuck Season 4 here.
Answer my Physics assignment here.
Google search tips for Mediafire here. Another search tip for definitions here.
Scams: Text.
SmartBro, Globe Tattoo, Sun Broadband (Prepaid) Tricks: 1, 2.
FB: tricks: 1, 2, 3; fix 1, 2, 3.
Site: Freebie: TipRadar. GOTD.
Freebies: Kaspersky CBE 11.

Feel free to comment. No spam please.

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Computer Tricks: SmartBro Prepaid, Globe Tattoo, Sun Broadband Plug-It Fix

I've been living in a dormitory inside UP Diliman, and as what I've said in the previous post, my internet speed in SmartBro is really slow. Now that Dilnet is available inside Kalayaan Residence Hall's corridors (that's the name of the dorm), internet should be easier but it isn't.

Here are the reasons why:
First, WiFi does not reach my room (which was very unfortunate because many people can easily use Dilnet.)
Second, Dilnet has been suffering DHCP server problems. (Search that in Google if you want to know about DHCP.) This I think is due to the number of people connecting to Dilnet and I think the bandwidth has exceeded. (Maybe someone there is downloading movies in YouTube. Damnit)
Lastly, Dilnet prevents many things. This shouldn't be a problem but I really like to use TeamViewer but Dilnet won't let me.

For Speed Testing go to this site. Note that the tricks below won't guarantee an increase in speed. Your location is one factor of why your Internet's slow.

The first thought of getting my SmartBro plug-it to speed up is using a proxy. You can find a lot of proxies in the Internet, but the very common proxies I used were Proxy Name:proxy.smartwifi.com.ph Port:8080 and Proxy Name:proxy.smartbro.net Port:8080. To set up proxy simply go to Internet Explorer > Tools > Internet Options > Connections > Select SmartBro in the 'Dial-Up and VPN Settings' and click Settings. Check 'Use a Proxy for this connection' and type the proxy you will use. (I italicized the proxy name and port.) Click ok and you should surf normally, if not better, or worse.
Select SmartBro, Choose Settings


That didn't work very well, it only worked for a while. Using my computer skills I managed to locate another problem, the DNS. (Again, search in the internet if you want to know more.) SmartBro's own DNS servers seemed to be really slow. I used Google to locate possible DNS server and here's what I've found: OpenDNS. Just change your DNS Servers to Primary: 208.67.222.222 and Alternate: 208.67.220.220 and you should see some change. Mine changed significantly as I was able to surf better with my SmartBro. Search in the Internet on how to change your DNS server, I'll post my instructions later*.
Disconnected or connected, you can still change it.



Some SmartBro don't have the same as mine, so you'll have to do it manually. Disconnect then connect after setting the default.

After a week my SmartBro began to slow down. It's very frustrating as I sit there reading my speed as it never reach more than 100kbps (kilobit, not kilobyte, 1 byte = 8 bits). And mostly it gets stuck to less than 10 kbps. Argh, I got so angry I uninstalled SmartBro and reinstalled it. I ended up sleeping on that night. When I woke I forgot to download something so I opened the SmartBro interface, connected to the OpenDNS servers, and voila! The speed went back to normal. I thought about it, and it seemed that the SmartBro modem's driver seemed to be the problem. Reinstalling the program fixed that.

I guess I'll end up reinstalling my SmartBro everytime it slows down. Not to fear, as long as I can download that fast, it's fine with me.

Note to Globe Tatto and Sun Broadband users: If you have the plug-it you may try searching in the Internet for similar ways like what I did in SmartBro. OpenDNS should work on anything, including yours. Proxies must be searched in the Internet. Goodluck, and I hope you find your answer.

*Note: I will post pictures days later because I will be busy at the moment. I have an exam tomorrow, so please excuse me for that. If you're lucky I'll post the pictures tomorrow.

More notes: Some tricks also work with non plug-it modems. Plug-it modems are those USB modems which are very portable. Some tricks also work with those using ZTE and Huawei modems and with those on a different operator.

Update April 5, 2011: Boost found here.

Questions? Relieved? Post in the comments sections. Will answer your questions as soon as I can. But expect not to be answered within an hour, depending on my surfing time.

What's going on with Egypt? Read here. (Feb. 1 post)

6 comments:

  1. hi
    i've read it and did everything but i'm still stuck at 300kbps
    when i first got it, the download speed was higher during 1am-6am..it used to reach 1mbps
    is there something wrong with my pc or is it still smart bro's fault?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello. Thanks for reading my blog!
    Uhmm, there may be many reasons why your SmartBro is slowing down. Some of them may be:
    - spyware(these are malicious programs that slow down your computer)
    - congestion from Smart's tower (more subscriber's are in your area)
    - Poorer signal

    For the spyware part, please check your PC for viruses. Make sure you have an anti-virus (good free ones are Avast and Avira) and an anti-malware (Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is my favorite.) Scan your PC. Also try reducing the amount of running programs especially those that are in background.

    You may try my other post to see if it works: http://ecoselfandme.blogspot.com/2011/04/im-back-update-smartbro-trick-boost.html

    Another DNS Server: Google DNS (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4) - This works for me better than OpenDNS

    Also if you're a plan user you may try calling the Smart hotline for problems. It may work (sometimes).

    The tricks I posted does not guarantee a boost in your internet speed. But it's worth a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is many reason for slow internet, but in terms of the Philippines, guys, sorry but the ISP is always the cause.

    Simple, your network is so old and cheap that even spyware slow down seems inpersevable compared to the ISP problems so even if you have pc problems, the ISP can always fix something.

    Let it be said, your ISP company are trying to make money and they don't know what they are doing, sorry 3rd world but that's true. so they o what they can, cheat patch hide lie etc what ever they can!

    DNS being a major issue here,


    Smart:::
    go and set up 10 profiles, each with different DNS and jump and switch......


    Globe:::
    Though luck, if you can tunnel out and encrypt professionally, then just forget it, they shape and throttle any P2P users and completely jam your line with actual illegal hidden limitation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How can you get through dilnet without using any broadband sticks? I see students here playing tetris and doing other stuff that is forbidden by dilnet. help pleeaaasee

    ReplyDelete
  5. The philippine cellular network is heavily overloaded, thats one of the many factors that causes the internet to become slow...
    that goes for other internet connections as well. it normally works better during nighttime on workdays when many are asleep.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That’s a good article. I personally prefer UnoTelly. It’s similar to Smart DNS Proxy but they offer a DNS server close to physical location and I can achieve better performance.

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts? Comments, Suggestions, or Just Wanna Say Hi? Post Here.