Here is my personal review on my math 17 professor Kai Brynne Boydon. She's one the best math professors I ever had.(though Sir Agapito was also one of the best, you have to give him your best in order to pass)
Notes before you continue: This is a personal review based on personal experience. She was my professor during First Semester 2010-11. Everything is subject to change with time. Who knows maybe she'll be teaching at a different university. For now she isn't because she's taking up Master's degree. (and more probably Doctorate degree)
I think Ma'am Kai just began teaching that semester. (I need to verify, can you help?) According to her, she is finishing her Master's degree, and I don't remember whether she will continue up to Doctorate degree. (like Sir Agapito) Ma'am Kai is teaching Math 17 and Math 53. (I don't know whether she's teaching lower Maths but I think she does.)
Ma'am Kai (I think) wears contact lenses. She is taller than average women and she smiles a lot. She is very friendly and very approachable. She communicates a lot to her students and listens to them. (Somewhat, ehehe) If ever you're in need of help (academically, or you just want to talk) just go to her and talk. She is very cheerful and optimistic by the way.
She gives a fair teaching. She brings out copies of formulas, of things to memorize or of the lesson. She lets one of the students photocopy (though sometimes she does the photocopying) but she does it one or more days before that lesson. She gives as much examples as possible so the students would understand the lesson, and her examples are anime, Dora, etc. She likes to use "Bamanos!" by the way.
Her exams are fairly easy. According to some professors she had one of the easiest exams. Her exam schedule are usually on Mondays or Saturdays. She gives bonuses (around 1.5-3% of total exam) to most of her exams. With just enough memory and practice you could pass her exams. (In Math 17, you may not need to study because most are just repetitions from high school Math.) Also when if ever you commit a "mortal sin" in Math (e.g. sin x/ 6 = n because sin x/six = n) you get a "booga-booga", a face with an X in it.
She checks attendance at the end of the class hours. No papers passed, she will just call your name whether your present. She doesn't might if you come to her class late. (In fact, I come to her class late, but not for the reason you think it is.)
She might find ways to boost your grades by letting you perform or solve something. Again she gives a lot of bonuses. Also if ever you need her consultation, just talk to her about it.
Final Verdict:
Recommendation: I highly recommend her. She gives the best exams and she gives a lot of bonuses (for the third time said). When she was my Math 17 she made me happy with her bonuses. She doesn't mind if I slept some time in class. She tells whether exam is relatively easy or hard. She helps a lot and her smile just makes her students happy. (Well for me I guess) Her friendliness is just great.
Level of Learning: Unlike Agapito, she teaches "by the book". That's somewhat your level of learning from her. It's normal because most professors in Math are like that.
Other Notes:
In my time she gave an extra % grade after solving the final grade. It also happened to the people the next semester. Now isn't that neat! :D
If ever I still find her in UP, and when I'm graduating I'm proud to give my gratitude to her.
Not to be boasting, but I and one of my friends were aiming a grade higher than 1.0 (0.75?), though it couldn't appear in the final-final grade we did reach a grade higher than 100%, thanks to her bonuses.
Her schedule? No I don't really know.
Again, everything is subject to change.
I'm back at the dorm and I'm taking summer classes. Read what happened before and during enrollment here.
hi , im your ma'am kai's cousin :) .. nakakatuwa naman yung review mo :D
ReplyDeleteMa'am kai is my math 17 prof. And she's one of the best! Lucky to have her as my prof. Plus she is the only one who gives samplex. :))
ReplyDelete